How to use this site

The title of each entry links to an MP3 recording of the lick. If your browser supports MP3s, this will open a separate window, where the lick will play. This window will still be here - you may need to drag the new one to one side to see it. Click on any of the transcriptions to open a larger version of it. Use your browser's 'back' button to return to this page.

All the transcriptions here are in concert keys. One day, if I have time, I'll create B flat and E flat versions if anyone would like them. Do let me know.

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Oliver Nelson - Stolen Moments



This is a somewhat ethereal phrase, over a tranquil minor blues. This whole solo is a succession very thoughtful 'developments of a lick', where a very simple idea is repeated, with subtle twists and turns.

I had no idea until looking him up for this blog entry, that the saxophonist, and composer, Oliver Nelson was also responsible for the theme to one of my childhood favourite TV programmes, 'The Six Milion Dollar Man'.

1 comment:

Storm said...

Hey, this is a GREAT site! I just came upon it while doing a bit of research for my own blog post on the augmented scale. I was searching for a solo transcription for Oliver Nelson's "Stolen Moments" solo, just to make sure my memory served me correctly. Found what I need--thanks! I love what you're doing.